Friday, October 14, 2016

Waiting for Doom Episode 74: Yeah He's Found His Weird OR Good Job, Casey!


New week! New issue of Doom Patrol!! New episode of Waiting for Doom!!!

Here's the description of this week's podcast straight from the Podbean, wherein Paul and Mike discuss Doom Patrol #2 from Gerard Way, Nick Derington, Tamra Bonvillain, and Todd Klein:
Episode 74: Yeah He's Found His Weird
New week! New episode! New Doom Patrol! LET'S GET PATROLLING!

Down on Derington Way - 8:48|Doom Clock - 13:04|Doomsplaining
As the boys mentioned down on Derington Way, here's the clown sketch from Nick Derington's Twitter.

Not so much floating as being carried, I'd say. 
And, as an extra bonus, because I cannot get enough of Derington's art, I presume you feel the same way, so here's an early Casey Brinke sketch he recently shared. 

She looks a bit younger in this one. 


They also mentioned the interview from iO9 that Evan Narcisse conducted from New York Comic Con this past weekend. Of note, to me, is this quote:
You can't just have weirdness for weirdness's sake. - Gerard Way
Feel free to sound off with your own preferred quote from the interview. 

For now, let's catch up to what Mike and Paul discussed and share some images with y'all. I'm going to keep the commentary sparse, mostly just the captions, as I'll give y'all my own review of Doom Patrol #2 tomorrow. For now, if you need another take on the issue, check out what my pal, Mexi Gremillion had to say over at Comicosity

Here are the covers.

Nick Derington's cover. 


The Allred variant as delivered to us by ComicBook.com
Sweet. My LCS just so happened to have both covers at, well, cover price. So I got mine. How about you? Which cover did you get? 

Oh. That's interesting. No. I didn't really hear you. I pretended I did though, which was kind of fun. Feel free to drop your cover option in the comments below. 

Now let's get on to the panels. I'm putting these in story order, and completely resisting the urge to just drop in the entire issue below. That's why some bits are only panels. If you really want to see the whole thing, but you don't have, well, I guess that means you should go buy Doom Patrol #2, right? 

Anyway, here are some panels. 

The runner-up for Doug's Dig. 
All of page 6. 

"Brain milk." That's how my youngest daughter described this panel,
which is her favorite of the issue. 
Who do you suppose Terry's going to tell?
An interlude with Niles Caulder. 



Mike was so inspired by this scene he wrote a song on Twitter this week. 
A bit of a mess. 
I'm ready. 

In lieu of a "Next Issue" page or blurb, artist Dan McDaid gives us this: 


And now, it's time for Doug's Dig. 

So there you have it, Patrollers. Click back tomorrow to get my actual review of the issue. 

BUT WAIT! It wouldn't be a Waiting for Doom related post if I didn't give you the Question of the Week:
What's your favorite sequel?

1 comment:

  1. I regret not pointing out the fabulous colours in the issue. Tamra Bonvillain does such a terrific job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails